Winter Fuel Allowance: Dates, amount, eligibility – When do cold weather schemes open? | Personal Finance | Finance


- Advertisement -

Temperatures have taken a nosedive in recent weeks, with many of us choosing to switch on the heating as houses grow chilly. However, this is an additional cost which many may ill be able to afford.

Across the UK there is a range of schemes in place to help those who struggle with heating bills come the winter season.

These schemes are based on a range of factors, from the benefits you may already receive, to your age and the temperature in your area.

As we head towards the winter season, many may be wondering how they can sign up for help towards heating bills. has outlined four schemes below, including eligibility, amount and start dates.

Read More: Cold Weather Payment: When does Cold Weather Payment scheme start?

Winter Fuel Payments are between £100 and £300, with the aim of helping those eligible to pay their heating bills.

According to the Government website, most payments are made automatically between November and December.

You should get your money by the latest January 13, 2021.

Read more on Winter Fuel Payments here.

- Advertisement -

Cold Weather Payment

Cold Weather Payments are issued to those getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest.

You will get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below across seven consecutive days.

You’ll get £25 for each seven day period of very cold weather between November 1 and March 31.

You do not need to apply, as if you are eligible to get a Cold Weather Payment, you’ll be paid it automatically.

Tell your pension centre or Jobcentre Plus office if you think you should have received a Cold Weather Payment but you have not.

If you’re getting Universal Credit, sign in to your account and add a note to your journal.

Energy Company Obligation

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government energy efficiency scheme in Great Britain to help reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty.

You might be able to get help for energy-saving improvements to your home if you either:

  • claim certain benefits and live in private housing (for example you own your home or rent from a private landlord)
  • live in social housing

You may get help with the cost of:

  • insulation work, for example to your loft or cavity walls
  • replacing or repairing your boiler – or other upgrades to your heating

If you rent, you need to get the house owner’s permission to have the work done.

You might be eligible for help if you live in private housing and get one of the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Guarantee Credit – you will not be eligible if you only claim Pension Savings Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefits
  • War Pensions Mobility Supplement
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Child Benefit

To find out more, visit the Government’s website here.

Source link

- Advertisement -

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.